Providing Great Results For Our Clients

Apartment complex hazards in premises liability claims

by | May 19, 2021 | Personal Injury

When Georgia tenants are injured because of hazardous conditions on the property of their apartment complexes, they may have a right to file personal injury claims against the landlord. Property owners have a duty to maintain their premises in a reasonably safe condition to prevent tenants and guests who are lawfully present from being injured.

Failing to make repairs

Landlords have a duty to protect their tenants from injuries caused by hazards on the property. Things like broken locks, exterior doors without deadbolts, and broken stairs or missing handrails can all lead to liability when people are injured. Failing to ensure that carbon monoxide and smoke detectors are working can also form the basis of a liability claim if the tenants are injured or killed because of a gas leak or fire. Common areas also need to be maintained and kept in good condition to prevent the tenants’ guests from being injured. For example, broken sidewalks, potholes in parking lots, and other similar hazards can result in serious injuries. Landlords should promptly address these types of issues to protect the safety of their tenants and visitors.

Dangerous environment

If an apartment complex is located in a high-crime area, the property manager or owner should make sure that the parking lot and common areas are well-lit. Having a locking gate and security guards are also important. If a tenant or guest is assaulted or robbed because of inadequate security, the property owner might be liable to pay damages to the victim.

Apartment complex owners and property managers have an obligation to keep their premises in a reasonably safe condition. They also should ensure that any security issues are addressed to prevent people from being the victims of violent crimes on the premises. When a tenant or guest is seriously injured because of dangerous conditions on the property that were not addressed, the victim might be entitled to file a lawsuit against the property owner to recover compensation for the losses that have resulted.